Dental Interns’s Motivation Towards their Professional Career and Perception of Career Path during the Pandemic (COVID-19) in India
Background: The reasons for the selection of a particular profession can be very complex, and the choice of dentistry is no exception. The pandemic has had an immediate impact on the field of dental education, such as students having anxiety regarding their safety, unavailability of learning resources, retaining the efficiency of patient care after dental schools fully reopen, and uncertainty about their future prospects.
Objectives: Assessment of the motivation behind students selecting dentistry as a career and the impact of the pandemic on the career path of dental interns.
Methodology: An online questionnaire-based cross-sectional study comprising 208 students representing different public and private dental colleges in Bengaluru City.
Results: About 90% of the participants wanted to continue with dentistry as their profession before the pandemic while the remaining 10% did not want to continue with dentistry as their profession. About 61% of the participants who wanted to continue with dentistry as their profession, considered the pandemic as a setback to their career.
Conclusion: Most of dental interns regarded the pandemic as a setback to their careers due to reduced job opportunities and patient turnover. Re-evaluation and prioritization of patient safety protocols by dental institutions are essential. Teledentistry and e-oral health education should be encouraged.
Scarbecz M, Ross JA. Gender differences in first year dental students’ motivation to attend dental school. J Dent Educ 2002; 66(8):952-961. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12214843/
Gati I, Osipow SH, Givon M. Gender differences in career decision making: the content and structure of preferences. J Couns Psychol 1995; 42(2):204-216. doi: https://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168
Anand, K.B., Karade, S., Sen, S., Gupta, R.M., 2020. SARS-CoV-2: camazotz's curse. Med J Armed Forces India 76-2, 2020, 136–141. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mjafi.2020.04.008
Educational Debt. American Dental Education A. Available at: www.adea.org/GoDental/Money_Matters/Educational_Debt.aspx
U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Guidance on preparing workplaces for COVID-19. OSHA 3990-03 2020. Accessed April 18, 2020. https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/OSHA3990.pdf
Barabari P, Moharamzadeh K. Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Dentistry-A comprehensive review of literature. Dent J. 2020; 8(2):53. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/dj8020053
Meng L, Hua F, Bian Z. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Emerging and future challenges for dental and oral medicine. J Dent Res. 2020; 99(5):481- 487. doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034520914246
Aggarwal A, Mehta S, Gupta D, Sheikh S, Pallagatti S, Singh R, Singla I. Dental students’ motivations and perceptions of dental professional career in India. J Dent Educ. 2012; 76(11):1532-1539. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/j.0022-0337.2012.76.11.tb05416.x
Avramova N, Yaneva K, Bonev B. First-year dental students’ motivation and attitudes for choosing the dental profession. Acta medica academica 2014; 43(2):113-121. doi: https://doi.org/10.5644/ama2006-124.110
Sarah Fita, Faris Alshuraim, Abdullah Almulhim, Jehan AlHumaid, Muhanad Alhareky, Muhammad Nazir, "Possible Future Career Challenges and Associated Factors among Dental Students and Interns", International Journal of Dentistry, vol. 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/9730125
Chi DL, Randall CL, Hill CM. Dental trainees’ mental health and intention to leave their programs during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Am Dent Assoc. 2021; 152(7):526-534. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2021.02.012